- Who We Are
- Our Team
- What We Do
Rebecca R. Akroyd
Ms. Akroyd, an associate attorney in the firm, represents public and private sector clients in the areas of natural resources and water law. Her practice focuses on regulatory compliance, water rights and compliance with state and federal water and environmental law.
Ms. Akroyd performs a variety of legal services for both public and private sector clients, including in-depth legal research and analysis, regulatory compliance assistance and litigation-related support. Specific areas of experience include:
- Endangered Species Acts (Federal and State)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Administrative proceedings
- Land-use matters
- Representation of homeowner associations
- Water rights matters
Prior to and during law school, Ms. Akroyd gained an abundance of practical experience, especially in the areas of special education and disability law, through various internships and law clerk positions, including a summer associate position at Kronick.
Recent examples of legal matters Ms. Akroyd has handled on behalf of clients include:
- Challenging Endangered Species Act biological opinions.
- Assisting in litigation defining the scope and applicability of the California Endangered Species Act.
- Participating in teams representing private and public sector clients in environmental and water rights litigation before both state and federal courts. Ms. Akroyd’s litigation-related activities include conducting background legal research, analyzing administrative records and drafting pleadings.
- Preparing Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Litigating rights under Bureau of Reclamation water delivery contracts including application of California “area of origin” laws.
- Litigation involving the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.
- San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority v. Jewell, --- F.Supp.3d ----, 2014 WL 4960786 (E.D. Cal. Oct. 1, 2014)
- Young et al. v. State Water Resources Control Board, 219 Cal.App.4th 397 (2013)
- Tehama-Colusa Canal Authority v. Dept. of Interior, et al., 721 F.3d 1086 (9th Cir. 2013)
- Natural Resources Defense Council et al. v. Salazar et al., 686 F.3d 1092 (9th Cir. 2012)
- San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority v. United States Dept. of Interior, 905 F.Supp.2d 1158, (E.D. Cal. 2012)
- San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority v. United States Dept. of Interior, 870 F.Supp.2d 943 (E.D. Cal. 2012)
- Consol. Salmonid Cases, 791 F.Supp.2d 802 (E.D. Cal. 2011)
- Delta Smelt Consol. Cases, 812 F.Supp.2d 1133 (E.D. Cal. 2011)
- Delta Smelt Consol. Cases, 760 F.Supp.2d 855 (E.D. Cal. 2010)
- Tehama-Colusa Canal Authority v. United States Dept. of Interior, 819 F.Supp.2d 956 (E.D. Cal. 2011)
- Watershed Enforcers v. Dept. of Water Resources, 185 Cal.App.4th 969 (2010)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Ms. Akroyd's professional activities and affiliations include:
- Northern California Rising Star (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Co-author, "Appellate Confirmation of State Water Board Administrative Jurisdiction to Prevent Illegal or Unreasonable Water Diversion and Use: Young, Millview and Light," Environmental Law News, Fall 2015
- Moderator, “What is the Delta Watermaster’s Role in Addressing California’s Water Issues? Learn the Answers from Delta Watermaster Craig Wilson,” Dec. 2012
- Panelist, “Environmental Law Careers in the Private Sector,” U.C. Davis School of Law, Nov. 2012
- Co-author, "The Tucson Herpetological Society v. Salazar Decision and Its Progeny: A Move Away from Blind Deference to Agency Decision-Making," California Water Law and Policy Reporter, March 2012
- Member, Water Education Foundation's Water Leaders Class of 2012
- Board of Directors, WarmLine Family Resource Center
- Member, California State Bar Association
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Member, Women Lawyers of Sacramento
Admitted to Practice
- All California State Courts
- United States District Courts, Eastern and Northern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
J.D. University of California, Davis, 2009
- Recipient, Witkin Award for highest grade in Conflict of Laws
- Managing Editor, The King Hall Advocate
B.A. University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003
- High Honors
- Education Abroad Program, Queen Mary University of London, 2001-2002
- University of California Regents Scholar