- Who We Are
- Our Team
- What We Do
Linda M. Monje
Ms. Monje is an attorney in the firm's Business Services Group. She has more than 25 years of experience in taxation, business, real estate, estate planning, and probate and trust administration. She graduated magna cum laude in accounting and finance and practiced as a Certified Public Accountant before graduating from law school in 1995.
Business, Real Estate and Tax: Ms. Monje represents individuals and businesses in the planning and formation of for profit and nonprofit corporations, private foundations, partnerships, and limited liability companies. She also represents them in a variety of business and real estate transactions, including asset and entity purchases and sales, financing, shareholder and member agreements, buy/sell agreements, options, tax-free exchanges, and leases. Because of her CPA background, Ms. Monje is able to offer clients the experience and perspective of both an attorney and an accountant in evaluating business decisions, structuring and negotiating transactions, and conducting financial due diligence including review of financial statements and tax returns.
Ms. Monje also advises individuals and businesses regarding income, employment, and sales and use tax issues involving the IRS, FTB, and EDD. She represents clients in tax audits and appeals, and in civil and criminal tax investigations. Ms. Monje negotiates Offer in Compromises with the IRS and FTB, prepares estate (706) and gift (709) tax returns, and provides review of tax returns and advice prior to filing.
Estate Planning and Probate: Ms. Monje’s estate and probate practice includes succession and estate planning, probate and trust administration, and litigation. She prepares the full range of estate planning agreements and documents, including revocable living trusts, wills, durable power of attorney forms, advanced health care directives, irrevocable life insurance trusts, personal residence trusts, special needs trusts, charitable lead trusts, and charitable remainder trusts.
- Negotiated buyout agreements between shareholders owning shares in multiple companies located in different states including tax analysis of buyout and review and restructure of debt assumption among shareholders.
- Negotiated and drafted purchase and sale agreements involving multiple owners of several thousand acres of property for a residential and commercial development project, and represented developer in management relationship and agreements with the global financial services firm providing project financing.
- Established estate plans for high net worth individuals owning multiple interests in major farming operations and land holdings, established family limited liability companies and partnerships to facilitate gifting program to minimize estate taxes, and prepared irrevocable life insurance trusts and generation skipping transfer dynasty trusts to transfer wealth and minimize a potential significant estate tax liability.
- Established estate plans for real estate developers, farmers/ranchers and general contractors with holdings in multiple corporations and limited liability companies to facilitate ease of transfer of assets to beneficiaries and minimize estate taxes with emphasis on business succession to avoid project delays and business interruption.
- Provided litigation support for accounting/tax issues in litigation involving disputes between general partners, limited partners and shareholders.
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member, California State Bar, Taxation, Real Property Law, Business Law, and Trust and Estates Sections
- Member, American Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Member, Kern County Bar Association, Probate and Estate Planning Section
- Member, Estate Planning Council of Bakersfield
- Member, Kern County Women Lawyers Association (Past President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer)
- Member, California Board of Accountancy and Bakersfield Society of CPAs
B.S. Southeast Missouri State University, 1981
- Magna cum laude
CPA License, 1982
J.D. University of Denver, 1995
- Finalist, Moot Court and Client Counseling Competition
- Tax Clinic and IRS District Counsel Internship