- Who We Are
- What We Do
Ilene Goldstein Block
Ilene Block provides business owners and executives with experienced legal counsel in the areas of corporate, commercial, real estate and intellectual property law. Ms. Block often operates as an outside general counsel, handling the numerous ongoing legal needs of local, regional and national companies.
In her more than 30 years of practice, Ms. Block has assisted clients in all stages of the life cycle of a business, including the formation, the ongoing operation and growth, as well as the transition of the business to new owners through a planned process to maximize the sale price for the selling owners. Ms. Block advises her clients on issues that commonly occur in the ongoing operation of a business, including:
- Properly maintaining the business’ legal entity
- Corporate governance, including rights, duties and obligations of shareholders, officers, directors and members, as applicable
- Handling employee matters
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing a wide variety of business contracts, including, but not limited to, confidentiality agreements, independent contractor agreements, licensing and distribution agreements, as well as lease agreements for both real and personal property, and handling financing issues and options for expansion or sale of the business
- Registering state and federal trademarks and service marks.
- Drafting intellectual property licensing agreements and related documents.
- Dealing with disputes that arise between business owners
- Succession planning focusing on maximizing the return to the retiring owners from the transition of the business, either through a sale or a gifting program to family members
- Stock and asset sales transactions, either on the purchase side to expand the business or the sale side to transition out of the business
Over the course of her career, Ms. Block has developed an expertise in assisting business owners to maximize the value of the owner’s business as part of the process of transitioning from business ownership into the client’s next phase of life. This expertise includes working with a team of key advisors in the areas of finance, management consulting, accounting, business brokerage and money management. As an integral part of this team, Ms. Block begins working with clients several years before the client intends to transition out of the business. This extended planning period allows each area of the business to be examined and changes to be implemented, as needed, to maximize the client’s business value.
Ms. Block prides herself on educating her clients to enable them to best use her services to minimize ongoing legal fees. This education is based on the cornerstone concept of ongoing attention to legal issues and details as part of any business management’s regular responsibilities. Ms. Block has many long time clients who call her regularly to discuss both routine business issues, as well as major, strategic and long term business decisions.
Ms. Block began her career with Price Waterhouse Tax Department primarily handling tax research matters. Ms. Block then spent several years as in-house counsel to the Restaurant Enterprises Group, Inc. (formerly a division of W.R. Grace, Inc.) handling a wide variety of corporate matters, including contract drafting and review, oversight of all restaurant leases, as well as all corporate trademarks and service marks.
She moved to Sacramento in 1989 to accept a position as in-house counsel to Sacramento Savings Bank, where she continued the same type of work, while also handling the bulk of the bank’s mergers and acquisitions and its corporate maintenance. Prior to joining Kronick in 2014, Ms. Block was an owner/partner in Berry & Block, LLP, which she co-founded in 2004, after two and a half years in private practice with Livingston & Mattesich Law Corporation (now Greenberg Trauig, LLP).
Ms. Block lives in Sacramento with her husband, a devoted ironman triathlete, and her two great danes. She has two adults sons, both pursuing their post-college educations. In her free time, Ms. Block enjoys running, weight training, yoga and her newest interest, rowing with the River City Rowing Club.
Following are examples of legal matters Ms. Block has handled for clients:
- Developed and implemented a strategy for a shareholder to purchase the shares of a departing shareholder of a $30,000,000 construction company, followed by a tax free spin-off of the company’s service business and the formation of a new company for the selling shareholder. Assisted in the development and drafted documents for employee bonus programs and a buy-out of both shareholders by their key employees over time as part of an overall dual business transition plan.
- Formed a new Nevada corporation to purchase the intellectual property of an existing $50,000,000 California IP company to allow key employees to purchase an ownership interest in the company. The key IP of the California corporation was appraised and licensed to the new Nevada corporation over a period of time, which allowed the shareholders of the California corporation to recoup their financing of the development of the software, while the license to the Nevada corporation allowed key employees to own a part of the ongoing company, which will buy out the license at the end of its term and continue to develop and update the software going forward.
- Worked with a specific team of professionals to plan an exit strategy to be implemented over a period of three years to assist a business in increasing its EBITDA by $1,000,000, thereby increasing its sales price by $5,000,000.
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Ms. Block enjoys providing services for her community and has employed her legal talents outside of the workplace. She is actively involved with the following nonprofit organizations:
- Board Member, SACTO (2014-2015)
- Board Member, Sacramento Regional Technology Alliance (SARTA) (2015 to present)
- Chair, AgStart Committee (2015 to present)
- Mentor, She Shares (2016)
- Adjunct Professor, King Hall School of Law, UC Davis (2015-2016) "The Business of Lawyering"
- Advisor, My Swirl – the New Internet for Women (2015 to present)
- Secretary/Board Member, Delta Sculling Center (2013 to 2015)
- Board Member, The Chester Foundation (2011 to present)
- Vice President/Secretary, River City Rowing Club (2013 to 2015)
- Past President, Team Donate Life, Inc. (Board member 2008 - 2014)
Her professional affiliations include:
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- Sacramento Business Journal, Women Who Mean Business, 2017
- Sacramento Magazine, Top Lawyer 2017, 2016
- Best of the Bar, Sacramento Business Journal, 2015
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Member, California State Bar Association
- Member, Sacramento Rotary
J.D. University of California, Davis, 1984
B.A. California State University, Fullerton, 1981
- Graduated with High Honors in Business Administration with a double emphasis in Accounting and Finance