- Who We Are
- Our Team
- What We Do
Catherine V. Nystrom
Ms. Nystrom is an associate attorney practicing in the firm’s labor and employment and litigation practice groups. She represents both public and private sector employers across a broad spectrum of employment law matters.
A 2011 law school graduate, Ms. Nystrom provides advice and counsel and litigation support in a variety of areas. Her specific experience includes:
- Legal research and drafting of memoranda in the areas of:
- Personnel policies
- Wage and hour issues
- Discrimination and harassment
- Labor policy and collective bargaining
- Health and retirement benefits
- Assisting with editing employee handbooks and personnel policies
- Conducting all aspects of litigation, including discovery, researching and drafting motions, and preparing for and appearing in court
Prior to joining KMTG in 2013, Ms. Nystrom was an associate in a Sacramento-based litigation firm where she represented individual and corporate defendants in insurance litigation, employment law, and personal injury matters.
During law school, Ms. Nystrom worked for a year as a legal intern for the California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) where she researched and drafted memoranda and legal documents, and applied environmental principles to a wide variety of legal issues involving agency contracts, land use and constitutional law.
Examples of legal matters for which Ms. Nystrom has provided legal assistance and/or litigation support include:
- Assisted in the defense of large insurance companies, handling all facets of discovery, including written discovery and depositions.
- Authored and argued dispositive motions, including a successful motion for summary judgment on behalf of a non-profit organization client.
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Membership Chair, Barristers’ Club of Sacramento (Media Chair, 2014)
- Vice-Chair of Development, Women Lawyers of Sacramento (Vice-Chair of Membership, 2014)
- Member, Executive Committee, Sacramento County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, California State Bar Association
- Board Member, Sacramento Ballet Association
- Mentor, McClatchy High School’s Law & Public Policy Academy (L&PPA)
- Member, MetroEDGE
While serving on the editorial board of the McGeorge Law Review, Ms. Nystrom wrote two articles: “Trading the Cap and Gown for Dress Blues, Chapter 296 Makes Traditional Graduation Dress Optional for Active Military Grads,” 41 McGeorge L. Rev. 543 (2010); and “Chapter 405: Military IDs are Sufficient for the Purchase of Alcohol, 41 McGeorge L. Rev. 493 (2010).
Admitted to Practice
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
J.D. University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 2011
- Graduated with Distinction
- Member, Roger J. Traynor Honor Society
- Recipient, Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Legal Research and Writing
- Chief Symposium Editor, McGeorge Law Review (2010-2011)
- Legislative and Comment Staff Writer, McGeorge Law Review (2009-2010)
- Student Associate, Anthony M. Kennedy Inn of Court
- Mentor, Pacific Pathways Mentoring Program
- Study Abroad, Fundamental Rights in Europe and the United States under Associate Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, Salzburg, Austria (July 2009)
B.A. University of California, Santa Barbara, 2007
- Major in Communications; Minor in Anthropology
- Member, National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Study Abroad, University of Sussex, Brighton, Falmer, UK (Summer 2006)