- Who We Are
- Our Team
- What We Do
Bruce A. Scheidt
Mr. Scheidt, the firm's managing shareholder, represents private entities in commercial litigation, serves as general counsel for local businesses, and represents lending institutions in lender liability lawsuits, debt collection actions and bankruptcy proceedings. He also represents private and public sector clients in all areas of employment and labor law, including defending employers in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, disability accommodation and whistleblower lawsuits, negotiating executive employment agreements, and representing employers in collective bargaining. He is an accomplished litigator, representing private and public clients in federal and state courts at the trial and appellate levels and in arbitration proceedings.
In practice since 1991, Mr. Scheidt represents corporate and public agency clients in business, commercial litigation and labor-and employment-related matters. His clients include regional banks, local manufacturing companies, retailers, Fortune 500 corporations, as well as, cities, counties and special districts throughout the State.
Mr. Scheidt represents lending institutions, corporations and partnerships in a broad range of matters, including:
- Banking law
- Lender liability
- Debt collection
- Breach of fiduciary duty actions
- Fraudulent conveyance actions
- Business and commercial litigation
- Corporate and partnership governance and counseling
- Corporate and partnership dissolution
Labor and Employment
Mr. Scheidt provides advice and litigation counsel to employers on all matters of labor and employment including:
- Prevention of sex, race, and other unlawful harassment and discrimination claims through training and day-to-day advice
- Advise employers on disciplinary actions
- Negotiate executive employment contracts
- Public and private sector labor relations, including collective bargaining negotiations, representation of employers before PERB and NLRB proceedings, and grievance processing.
- Compliance with state and federal laws governing employment, including:
- The Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA)
- The California Family Rights Act (CFRA)
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- The Civil Rights Act of 1991 (Title VII)
- The Pregnancy Disability Leave Act (PDL)
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Severance and release agreements
- Medical and personal leaves of absence, workers’ compensation, and disabilities in the workplace, including whether and how to reasonably accommodate employees
- Hiring and firing employees and managing high-risk terminations
- Privacy issues in the workplace, such as monitoring computer and internet use, drug testing, conducting workplace searches, background checks, and managing office romance
- Non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements to protect proprietary information, trade secrets, inventions, and customers
- Proper classification of employees for overtime and tax purposes
- Investigation of workplace harassment and discrimination claims
- Mr. Scheidt successfully represented a local manufacturing company in a joint venture and trade secret lawsuit, resulting in a $4 million award after a jury trial.
- Mr. Scheidt represented the State of California in a commercial lawsuit that resulted in more than $300 million in savings to electric ratepayers.
- Mr. Scheidt won a $2 million judgment for a lender in a commercial litigation dispute.
- Mr. Scheidt won a fraudulent conveyance judgment involving a transfer of real property by a judgment debtor who owed the bank client $2 million.
- Mr. Scheidt was the prevailing attorney in a fraud and legal malpractice lawsuit that resulted in a trial judgment award of compensatory and punitive damages.
- Mr. Scheidt won a million dollar post-foreclosure deficiency judgment for a bank in a state court lawsuit in which the borrower alleged a violation of the state’s anti- deficiency statute.
Labor and Employment
- Mr. Scheidt successfully represented a national retail chain in a contract reformation and fraud lawsuit against six Northern California union locals that resulted in a credit of nearly $2 million in the company’s health and welfare contributions.
- Mr. Scheidt successfully defended a city in a federal civil rights lawsuit of first impression in which the terminated police officer brought a class-based equal protection claim on behalf of similarly situated disciplined employees.
- Mr. Scheidt represented a school district in a lawsuit resulting from a budget-required layoff of teachers. The Court agreed with Mr. Scheidt’s interpretation of the Education Code as it related to the district’s layoff decisions.
- Mr. Scheidt reversed a trial court’s award of punitive damages on appeal of a whistleblower claim.
Professional Activities, Affiliations & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- Northern California Super Lawyer (2004, 2008, 2010-2015)
- Member, Heart & Stroke Walk Executive Leadership Team (2014 Chair)
- Board Member, Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, Northern California World Trade Center
- Member, Family Business Association
- Appointed by Sacramento County Superior Court Presiding Judge Steve White to the Civil Courts Advisory Council (2010 - 2011)
- Former Chair and 6-Year Member, City of Roseville’s Public Utilities Commission
- Graduate of Roseville Leadership program, sponsored by Roseville Chamber of Commerce and the City of Roseville
- Member, Roseville Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Rocklin Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Rotary Club of Roseville (former Board member)
Admitted to Practice
- All California State Courts
- United States District Courts, Eastern, Central and Northern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
J.D. University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1991
- Graduated with Great Distinction
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Member, Traynor Honor Society
- Received American Jurisprudence Awards in Constitutional Law, Evidence and Administrative Law
- Staff Writer and Assistant Comment Editor, Pacific Law Journal
B.A. University of California, Fresno, 1976
- Graduated cum laude in Journalism
- Editor-in-chief of the daily student newspaper, The Daily Collegian