- Who We Are
- Our Team
- What We Do
Trusts and Estates
Protect yourself and your family with an innovative, well-executed estate plan.
At KMTG, our team of Estate Planning attorneys provides a comprehensive assessment of each client's personal goals and financial situation in order to develop a customized plan that is unique to each client. Whether it is preserving and accumulating wealth, planning for retirement, providing financial security for loved ones, or succession planning and management, we employ traditional estate planning vehicles, along with innovative techniques that integrate personal estate planning goals with a client's business and financial objectives.
Our attorneys' expertise includes customized drafting of specialized estate planning mechanisms designed to maximize estate and gift tax savings while implementing the clients' specific transfer objectives. These techniques include irrevocable trusts such as life insurance trusts, qualified personal residence trusts ("QPRTs") and grantor retained annuity trusts ("GRATs"). Our attorneys have particular expertise in establishing family limited partnerships and limited liability companies to ensure the smooth and efficient succession of ownership and management of family and closely held businesses without depletion by estate taxes or interruption in continuity of the business; and in implementing charitable giving techniques, such as charitable lead trusts, charitable annuity trusts and private foundations.
We work with individuals, small and large business owners, commercial landowners, agricultural landowners, non-profit organizations and bank trust departments. From the personal, in-depth planning process, to the post-death administration of a Will or Trust, our attorneys bring proper sensitivity to the issues and disputes that often occur, and when necessary or advantageous, tenaciously defend and protect our clients' interests should litigation arise.
Our Scope of Services
- Fundamental planning including revocable trusts and wills to create the foundation all estates need regardless of their size
- Innovative, advanced planning techniques customized to maximize wealth preservation and minimize transfer taxes (gift tax, estate tax and generation-skipping transfer tax):
- Irrevocable trusts
- Lifetime giving plans
- Charitable planning, private foundations and conservation easements
- Retirement benefits planning
- Planning opportunities for family businesses and other closely held businesses, including formation and succession planning
- Planning for beneficiaries with special needs, including special needs trusts and limited conservatorships
Trust Administration and Probate
- Advise Successor Trustees with trust administration, including:
- Trust funding and asset allocation
- Accounting for trust beneficiaries
- Estate tax returns
- Distribution of assets
- Advise Executors with probate administration, including:
- Statutory fiduciary duties and responsibilities
- Navigation of the probate court process
- Represent Trustees and Beneficiaries in Trust disputes and Will contests, including business and asset valuation disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims and undue influence claims
- Represent Trustees and Beneficiaries in mediations and arbitrations involving trust disputes